elmwood #

The Grand Traverse Bay

Underwater Preserve

GTBUPLogo 20110506_like_us_on_facebook

President - Chris Doyal

Secretery - Stephan Karas

Treasurer - Julie Doyal

Director - Jeff Winkler

Director - Tom Morrow

Director - Corydon Golden

Grand Traverse Bay

Underwater Preserve

Council, Inc.

Sector scans provided by

Brian Abbott

Nautilus Marine Group

 

All photo/video provided by

Chris Doyal.

 

All work ©2017 and may not

be used in any way without

written permission.

Charles Frank - (Elmwood Wreck)

GPS Location: N44° 47.249’ W85° 38.103’

Depth: 20'

Wreck Length: 30'     Beam: 8'

Gross Tonnage: N/A     Cargo: None

Launched: 1928 in Manistee, MI

Wrecked: Nov. 8, 1957

Description: 

The tug, which had been used for towing, was purchased from the estate of Charles Hendrickson Jr., of Charlevoix, in 1942. The wooden vessel was built as a fish tug and originally powered by steam. It was constructed in Manistee for Hendrickson in 1926. In 1928 it was re-powered by a 100-120 hp Kahlenberg oil engine. It was burned due to deteriorating condition in 1957.

Divers will find this partially intact wood fish tug in 20 feet of water. This is a site for many open water training dives due to its proximity to shore and the ease of shore entry.

Wooden Fish Tug

002155a Elmwood4-2008_11 elmwood #

Sector scan provided by Brian Abbott

Nautilus Marine Group