CHARLES FRANK (ELMWOOD WRECK)
WOODEN FISH TUG
GPS Location: N44° 47.249’ W85° 38.103’
Wreck Length: 30'
Gross Tonnage: N/A
Launched: 1928 in Manistee, MI
Wrecked: Nov. 8, 1957
Description: The tug, which had been used for towing, was purchased from the estate of Charles Hendrickson Jr., of Charlevoix, in 1942. The wooden vessel was built as a fish tug and originally powered by steam. It was constructed in Manistee for Hendrickson in 1926. In 1928 it was re-powered by a 100-120 hp Kahlenberg oil engine. It was burned due to deteriorating condition in 1957.
Divers will find this partially intact wood fish tug in 20 feet of water. This is a site for many open water training dives due to its proximity to shore and the ease of shore entry.